The Missouri University of Science and Technology was founded in 1870 in Rolla, MO as the Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy (MSM). Chemistry was one of the first departments, initially named the Department of Chemistry and Metallurgy from 1871-1891, becoming the Department of Chemistry in 1893. The four-campus University of Missouri system was established in 1964 and MSM became the University of Missouri-Rolla. In 2007 recognizing the emphasis on technological research, the name was changed to its current form.
Today the chemistry department has 18 regular research active faculty plus additional lecturers and technical staff. Current student enrollment includes about 100 undergraduate majors and 60 graduate students.